August 29, 2011

Sarah's Key

By Tatiana De Rosnay

Amy Marie: This book keeps you from the first time you open the book. All the chapters are very short and filled with huge events that happen in the book. I won't lie and say that I didn't put this book down... because I did. I stopped reading for a little while because I knew the story was only going to get worse for a little while, that the story couldn't get better.  From back when I started reading in the 4th grade... Holocaust books have always had a place in my heart, brought tears to my eyes and never left me thinking that the story wasn't a good story. This book is about the round up of Jewish families (including children) in France in July of 1942. It is the intertwining and connecting story of a little girl and her connection to a modern day family and big secret. A wonderful love story that keeps you between the little girl, her family and the modern day journalist.

Kristin: This book was one that I had a hard time putting down. It did a great job of capturing your attention from the very beginning. I have always liked to read about stories from the Holocaust. It always dumbfounds me that we as humans could be so cruel and inhumane to our own human race. I liked that the chapters were short...I felt like I could sit down and read several chapters at one time...which is probably why I finished the book in less than 2 days! It was a really touching yet sad love story. The story had been kept a secret for generations but the pain and hurt of the secret carried on in the characters through out their lives. I tend to like books that are based on historical truths....granted the characters were fictional but the actual events that happened in German occupied Paris during the war were very true and historically accurate. I am looking forward to seeing this movie when it comes out...however...I don't think it will be as good as the book...guess time will tell! Would definitely recommend this book, especially if you were an Anne Frank book lover as a child.


Sonneri: As with almost every book written about the Holocaust, Nazi occupation or anything to do with either World War - you know going into it that the story won't be all fluff and happiness. So I knew it would be sad, which it was to some degree, but I didn't expect such a wonderfully written story of secrets. This book had so many layers - past and present, multiple families, historically accurate events and fictional characters - that you don't usually see in a book of this time period. It was so riveting that I couldn't put it down, despite the horrors and heartaches that come with World War stories. The author did a fantastic job of weaving all the elements together, and while the ending wasn't "feel-good", it suited the story perfectly by showing that redemption and forgiveness are possible by honoring your past.

No comments:

Post a Comment