October 1, 2011

The Other Boleyn Girl

By Philippa Gregory

Kristin: I really enjoyed reading about the rule and reign of King Henry the 8th. I watched the mini series of the Tudors before reading this book so I was able to envision a lot of the characters in my mind throughout the book. I really enjoyed the writing style of this author-sometimes reading a historical novel can be dull and boring but Gregory did an excellent job keeping you engaged. The rivalry of the 2 sisters will keep you entertained-there isn't much that will stand between them and their rise to power.This was a pretty big book but I found myself not wanting to put it down. Even if you aren't very interested in English history I would still recommend this book-it's a great love story set in an intriguing historical time.


Amy: What an absolutely fascinating story. I was at first hesitant to read the book because I have seen the movie before (and because it is 600 pages long) but it was by far one of the best and fun and quick reads in a long time. I remember hearing about King Henry in school and how he kept killing his wived because they wouldn't provide him with a son so it was kind of cool to read about it like you were living among it. I found it fascinating with all the research Gregory did and how she built a most likely happened story from facts around the time. It was like you were living in the castles, friends with all the right people to hear all the drama and in the middle of it all. I would highly recommend this period drama (and already have to multiple people!)

No comments:

Post a Comment