July 27, 2011

Modoc

 By Ralph Helfer

Kristin: I loved this book from the very 1st chapter. I'm a huge animal lover and was so touched by this sweet and enduring relationship of this boy and his elephant. The trials these two faced were unbelievable, but their bond and their love for each other carried them through unimaginable hardships and tragedies.  I am a firm believer that animals have feelings and are capable of showing love and feeling emotions. I have always loved elephants....Dumbo was a childhood favorite of mine. Elephants are such fascinating and beautiful creatures-so huge, yet so gentle and loving. This true story really affirms that animals are amazing creatures-they may not be able to talk and express their selves in human ways but show their affection and intelligence in more subtle ways. So many parts of the books were so sad and devastating, but neither Modoc or Bram gave up hope which I think is am important lesson to learn in life. Bram had an interesting worldview-believed everything was connected in nature. While I don't believe in reincarnation I do think his positive outlook on life was something to take note of. I do believe everything happens for a reason-why they happen I don't always understand but I know that being positive and upbeat is the way to handle adversity and move on in our walks of life.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone(even if you aren't an animal lover)....it was more than a true story of someone's life and journey- it was truly a heartwarming love story.

Sonneri: The story of Modoc and Bram is unbelievable! They endure so much over the course of their lives that you almost don't believe it's real. Their connection with one another is incredibly heartwarming, and the experiences they share make for a beautiful story when told by the animal trainer that brought them back together after a sudden and unexpected separation. While I liked the book, but I did not like the author's writing style. The sentences were short and very non-descriptive. Some may like this writing style, but I wasn't a fan. It was the love between animal and human that redeemed this book in the end

Amy Marie: I finished this book last week and really liked it. It told probably one of the most amazing stories of any animal I have ever heard of. If any part of this book written is true, that alone in and of itself is an amazing story. However, I thought the writing was overly simple. I enjoyed the story but the narrating was hard to get past... it makes me sad because I think I would have read this book again if it was written differntly. All characters seemed to have the same personalities when they spoke and the author, in my opinion, tried too hard to make the personality by telling it instead of creating it. What I did enjoy reading was the bond between the boy and elephant. It is a bond I think we can all relate to with any animal you love in your life- even though this bond was tested and survived death quite a few times more then maybe most human-animal reationship. The bond was a nice reminder that there is a connection to anything in nature and that everything here on Earth are all under the same roof- we are all connected through a God that created us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment